‘Lagna’ Kundali and ‘Lagnesh’
Ascendant, also known as the ‘Lagna’ in a kundali, indicates the pattern of a native’s life in brief. The first house denotes the physical body, appearance, personality, temperament, and the starting point of the native’s life journey. The planet ruling the Ascendant is known as ‘Lagnesh’. Overall energy levels, core persona, and the ability to take initiative are also seen from the first house of the horoscope.
To examine the Ascendant, we need to assess the degree of ‘Lagna Udaya’ (Ascendant rising) and the corresponding nakshatra, the nature of the sign falling in Ascendant, strength, dignity, and placement of the planet ruling the Ascendant, and if the Ascendant is under a ‘shubh’ or ‘paap’ ‘kartari’ (hemmed between benefics or malefics).
Besides the Ascendant Lord, Mars is the most important planet that is examined to understand the matters related to the first house as Mars is the ruler of the first house in the ‘kalapurush kundali’ (fixed zodiac). The strength and dignity of Mars and the relation between the lagnesh and Mars are the two significant points of reference.
A strong and beneficially aspected lagnesh signifies a healthy body and an affluent life irrespective of the challenges that the native is destined to face. When the lagnesh is well placed, it is a blessing of the almighty and an indicator of inner strength that will sail the native’s ship through adversities. In essence, the person is endowed with a fighting spirit that can manifest in the form of a ‘never give up attitude’, ‘physical resilience’, or ‘mental prowess’, depending upon other factors.
The aspect of Lagna Lord is considered invariably desirable owing to the auspiciousness this planet embodies. If the same sign rises in the Ascendant of ‘Navamsha’ (D-9 Chart), it is called ‘Vargottama Lagna’ which is considered fortunate for the native as the Lagna acquires additional strength. Regardless of which sign is rising in the Ascendant, the aspect of benefics on the first house signifies good overall health. The aspect of Mars on the Ascendant makes the native feisty and gives a tendency to stand tall amid adversities.
Importance of Ascendant with respect to various houses
House-to-house theory allows us to study the importance of the Ascendant with respect to the other houses in the horoscope. Let’s understand with the help of a few examples. Ascendant is the first house of the horoscope which is also the 4th house from the 10th house of career and profession, thus the first house becomes important to analyse how much happiness and contentment would one acquire from their profession, work, or social status. Being the 9th from the 5th house, it signifies the fortune of the children of the native, it also gives insight into the great-grandchildren of the native because it is the 5th house from the 9th house. It is the 6th house from the 8th house – the destruction of diseases, enemies, and debt that is made possible by the competence and preparedness of the ‘native’ himself.
Different Planets in the Ascendant
Jupiter, Sun, Mercury, Moon, and Mars are welcomed in the first house of the horoscope and are generally considered strong whereas Saturn and Venus are considered weak. Moreover, Jupiter and Mercury receive directional strength in the first house. Directional Strength is another kind of strength that different planets acquire in different directions (houses) of the horoscope.
- Sun: Sun is considered to be strongly placed in the first house as it receives exaltation in the first house of the kalapurush kundali, in the sign of Aries. For Libra risings, Sun placed in the first house would be debilitated, but even such a Sun is capable of bestowing natives with some of its glorious traits like enthusiasm, charisma, fame, etc. The magnitude of the same would depend upon whether the Sun is further aspected or conjoined with friendly or benefic planets or it’s the other way round.
- Moon: Moon is also well placed in the first house, it makes the native emotional, absorbed in his own thoughts, interests, and appearances. The native is focused on his growth and self. Selfishness is one of the handicaps of this placement.
- Mars: Mars in the first house makes the native energetic, courageous, action-oriented, and gallant. The native could be involved in professions like the military, police, or other protective and preventive services. It also gives the inclination to take up a side hobby as the native feels the need to have multiple energy outlets to channelise exorbitant levels of energy.
- Mercury: Although Mercury acquires directional strength in the first house, it does not share a friendly relationship with Mars who is the natural ruler of the first house. Mercury is capable of giving the best results when placed in a friendly sign here. If aspected or conjoined malefic planets, Mercury can also give bad results with the same intensity as it is a highly impressionable planet that acts in accordance with the influences it is receiving.
- Jupiter: Jupiter in the first house is considered one of the best positions in the classics, it is capable of invalidating a hundred blemishes present in a horoscope, as per our sages. From the first house, Jupiter aspects the 5th house, 7th house, and 9th house which are some of the most decidedly significant houses of the horoscope.
- Venus: Venus in the first house is comparatively weak, if not placed in its own or exaltation sign. Nonetheless, it makes the native artistic, beautiful, creative, and financially adept.
- Saturn: Saturn acquires an overall debilitation in the first house as it is the natural house of Aries, where Saturn is debilitated. If placed in Aquarius, Capricorn, or Libra, Saturn will form the ‘Sasa Mahapurush Yoga’ which is one of five Mahapurush Yogas and will give extraordinary results. However, when placed in an inimical sign or debilitated, Saturn in the first house can be one of the most challenging placements; the native will often face roadblocks in life, his marriage can be delayed, and the dawn of fortune will be rather late in life.